Sunday, September 21, 2008

leaven'....



...on a jet plane.... this afternoon for California...going to visit a client in Glendale and I'm not really looking forward to it. This project has not gone well and this is the first project for this new Trainer (why they hired this guy, I'll never know...if I were doing the hiring, I would never have considered him) and that's just what I need....for this training to not go well on top of everything else that's gone wrong.

I've been on the road (or in the air) a lot more than I anticipated when I took this job. I've been to Seattle about a dozen times (that's where my company is based) and to Kansas, New York, Salt Lake and California a couple times since I started with McKesson / Practice Partner a little over 6 months ago. The reason why I took this job is so I wouldn't have to live the "road warrior" life any more, but so far it hasn't quite worked out that way. Of course I had to travel in the beginning just to learn the product, but having to go to clients sites to play PR is not my bag...especially since I don't really care for this product...I like my job, but I just don't care for the software.

Oh well...I do see the light at the end of the tunnel. I foresee having to get on a plane a few days every 6 weeks or so, but I see in the future that I'll get to be planted more than not. And that's such a blessing at this time for many reasons.
  1. Gas prices - I can't imagine having to commute everyday to work. Getting to work from home these days is a raise in itself.
  2. Flexability - I can schedule my appointments around my home life. I can get the girls off to school, pick Jess up...take a couple hours off in the afternoon if I want and work in the evenings if I wish.
  3. I do have a great team - And that's huge. At any time I can send out an eMail with a question and I'll get at least 4 responses. Although I'm secluded in my office anywhere from 6-12 hours a day...I'm never alone.
  4. Get to see family and friends - When I do have to travel...if there's anyone in that state, I make a point of connecting with them while I'm there. I got to see Rhyannon about a month ago while I was in New York. I got to see Damian a week later while I was in Salt Lake...and of course going to Califorinia...there are all kinds of family and friends to see, but most important is to see my kids. I'm going to see Joel tonight...Ally Monday or Tuesday I hope.
In short...leaving is bitter sweet. I don't like leaving home (home is where Greg is)...but I do get to see family and friends on the expense of McKesson. Thank you "uncle mickey"!

No comments: